Mechanig is a new (work in progress) configuration options manager, designed with Unity in mind, handy tool that centers the Ubuntu desktop’s critical components into an all-in-one to-be-tweaked window.
Mechanig uses a traditional approach, in the sense of utilizing a user-friendly manner of accessing actions: on the top area there is a toolbar (housing all the categories), while on the main view configuration options are exposed; clicking on a toolbar button, visually updates Mechanig’s main view with the clicked category’s related configuration options.
The handy tweaking utility gathers and exposes configuration options from Unity, Window manager, Appearance and Desktop, basically, allowing the user to easily grasp (and modify, apply, manage) the whole of the desktop.
Ubuntu comes with numerous and numerous to-be-tweaked components, behaviors, abilities, etc, approach properly managed by Mechanig via compartmenting its categories (such as Unity) into sub-categories (such as Dash, Panel, etc), thus managing to implement a full set of useful options.
Mechanig 0.0.0.45 has just been released, marking its first release, thus shifting from a concept stage to an actual usable release.
- Launcher features auto-hide behavior, transparency, visibility, color, icon size, icon coloring, essentially, relevant useful options
- Dash permits the user to enable/disable More suggestions under supported lenses (such as Dash home, Unity Applications lens, Unity Video lens, Unity Music lens), ability paired with blur, Dash color and toggleable-lenses functionalities
- setting a transparency level for Unity panel is to performed via Panel, furthermore, the user is able to display the username on it, as well as to tweak various menu visibility values
- adding/modifying At+Tab Switcher shortcuts is to be achieved via Switcher, where numerous options can be 1-click away enabled/disabled (like for instance, Display “Show Desktop” icon, Automatically expose windows, etc)
- Additional presents itself as an extra sub-panel, yet grouping important shortcuts and functionalities; enabling the Keyboard Shortcuts overlay is as simple as checking Hold Super for Keyboard shortcuts
Window manager, Appearance and Desktop follow the same filled-with-features approach, centering both commonly used and advanced configuration options.
- General (displaying texture quality types,–fast, good, best–, zoom level,–used to zoom the desktop–, as well as allowing the user to enable/disable Sync to VBlank)
- adding vertical and horizontal desktops is to be performed via Workspace Switcher, furthermore, switching OFF the Workspace switcher hides the Workspace Switcher icon from the Unity launcher
- Window spread contains exciting capabilities, meaning, checking Overlay emblem renders app icons on applications running in Spread (opening multiple Nautilus windows and clicking on Nautilus’s Unity launcher icon, opens the Nautilus windows in Spread, while drawing a Nautilus icon on the in-spread Nautilus windows); furthermore, adjusting the Window spacing’s value, adjust accordingly the physical distance between in-Spread windows
- available fonts can be easily modified via Fonts, where font families, antialiasing types, hinting and text scaling factor are clearly exposed
Desktop presents itself as a desktop manager, featuring clickable abilities to show/hide icons on the desktop, as well as allowing users to display certain system icons on the desktop (network, trash, devices, etc).
A definitely useful aspect of Mechanig is its safe approach, safe in the sense of exposing a Restore defaults button on every sub-panel; checking/selecting a faulty option is to be immediately corrected by pressing Restore defaults, thus the user can both try and exercise a wide and diverse range of configuration options without the possibility of enabling inappropriate/undesired behaviors/changes.
How do we install Mechanig 0.0.45?
Add the following daily (probably unstable) PPA (Quantal, Raring)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:freyja-dev/mechanig-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mechanig
Mechanig is a project currently in progress, consequently, certain features have not been fully implemented (yet).
Bugs can be reported on https://bugs.launchpad.net/mechanig